Principal 中文:校長、本金、主要的,和 Principle 怎麼分?

寫 email 或報告時,打到一半突然停下來:「欸,到底是 principal 還是 principle?」然後默默開啟 Google。這兩個字發音一模一樣,只差最後兩個字母,但意思卻完全是兩回事。Principal 中文有「校長」、「本金」、「主要的」好幾個意思,Principle 則是「原則、準則」,一篇幫你搞清楚。

Principal 中文是什麼意思?怎麼用?

Principal 可以當名詞或形容詞,主要意思是「校長」、「負責人」、「本金」(名詞)或「主要的」、「首要的」(形容詞)。

記憶訣竅: Principal 的結尾是 -pal,想成「校長是你的 pal(朋友)」!

Principal 當名詞:校長、負責人、本金

(1)
A: Who’s that man giving the speech at the assembly?
A: 在集會上演講的那個人是誰?

B: That’s Mr. Chen, our school principal. He’s been here for 10 years.
B: 那是陳先生,我們的校長。他在這裡已經十年了。

(2)
A: I need to apply for a loan. How does the interest work?
A: 我需要申請貸款。利息怎麼算?

B: You’ll pay interest on the principal amount you borrow. The principal is the original loan amount.
B: 你會付你借的本金的利息。本金就是原始貸款金額。

(3)
A: Who should I talk to about investing in this company?
A: 我應該跟誰談投資這家公司的事?

B: You need to speak with one of the principals. They’re the main owners and decision-makers.
B: 你需要跟其中一位負責人談。他們是主要所有者和決策者。

Principal 當形容詞:主要的、首要的

(4)
A: Why did the project fail?
A: 專案為什麼失敗?

B: The principal reason was lack of communication between teams.
B: 主要原因是團隊之間缺乏溝通。

(5)
A: What’s your principal concern about this plan?
A: 你對這個計劃的主要顧慮是什麼?

B: My principal concern is the budget. I don’t think we have enough funding.
B: 我主要的顧慮是預算。我覺得我們資金不夠。

(6)
A: Who are the principal characters in this novel?
A: 這部小說的主要角色有誰?

B: The principal characters are two sisters navigating life in New York.
B: 主要角色是兩個在紐約生活的姊妹。

更多 Principal 範例

(7)
A: I got sent to the principal’s office today.
A: 我今天被叫去校長室了。

B: Oh no! What happened? Are you in trouble?
B: 哦!發生什麼事?你有麻煩了嗎?

(8)
A: How much do I still owe on my car loan?
A: 我的車貸還欠多少?

B: You’ve paid off most of the principal. Only about 5,000 dollars left.
B: 你已經還掉大部分本金了。只剩大約 5,000 美元。

(9) The principal dancer in the ballet was absolutely stunning.
芭蕾舞團的首席舞者真是令人驚艷。

Principle 中文是什麼?怎麼用?

Principle 是名詞,意思是「原則」、「準則」、「原理」、「信念」。

記憶訣竅: Principle 的結尾是 -ple,想成「a principle is a rule(原則就是規則)」,都有 le 結尾!

Principle 當名詞:原則、準則、原理

(10)
A: Why did you turn down such a high-paying job?
A: 你為什麼拒絕薪水這麼高的工作?

B: It goes against my principles. The company has unethical business practices.
B: 這違背我的原則。那家公司有不道德的商業行為。

(11)
A: Can you explain how this machine works?
A: 你可以解釋這台機器怎麼運作嗎?

B: Sure. The basic principle is that heat causes the metal to expand.
B: 當然。基本原理是熱會讓金屬膨脹。

(12)
A: I don’t understand why you won’t accept the money.
A: 我不懂你為什麼不接受這筆錢。

B: It’s a matter of principle. I didn’t earn it, so I shouldn’t take it.
B: 這是原則問題。我沒賺到它,所以不應該拿。

更多 Principle 範例

(13)
A: What are the guiding principles of your company?
A: 你們公司的指導原則是什麼?

B: Our guiding principles are integrity, innovation, and customer satisfaction.
B: 我們的指導原則是誠信、創新和客戶滿意度。

(14)
A: Do you agree with this policy in principle?
A: 你原則上同意這個政策嗎?

B: In principle, yes. But I have concerns about the implementation details.
B: 原則上同意。但我對執行細節有疑慮。

(15)
A: Why did she quit her job?
A: 她為什麼辭職?

B: She’s a woman of principle. When they asked her to lie to clients, she walked out.
B: 她是個有原則的人。當他們要她對客戶說謊時,她就離職了。

Principal vs Principle 快速比較

Principal vs Principle 快速比較

(16) The principal explained the school’s principles to new parents.
校長向新生家長解釋學校的原則。

(17) The principal of the firm operates on strict ethical principles.
公司負責人按照嚴格的道德原則運作。

記住這個:principal 結尾是 -al,字根裡藏了個「校長是你的 pal(朋友)」;principle 結尾是 -le,和 rule(規則)同樣是 le 結尾。下次看到這兩個字,先想結尾,就不會混了。

如果你喜歡這篇文章的話,可以追蹤我們的ThreadsFacebook唷!

歡迎留言